At Flexstone Deck Coatings, we understand the importance of a well-maintained deck. Your deck is not only a beautiful addition to your home, but it is also an investment that requires regular upkeep to remain in top shape. This article will provide tips and tricks to keep your deck in excellent condition.
Regular Deck Inspections
Regular inspections are essential for keeping your deck in good condition. We recommend that you inspect your deck at least once a year, preferably in the spring or early summer. During the inspection, check for any wear and tear, such as loose or damaged boards, rusted or corroded hardware, vinyl decking seams and seals separating or accumulating mould and mildew growth.
If you notice any issues, you must address them immediately. Ignoring problems can lead to further damage and costly repairs down the line.
Deck Cleaning and Maintenance
Regular cleaning and maintenance are also crucial for the longevity of your deck, especially if you live in Vancouver with all our rain and snow. You should clean your deck at least once a year or as needed if it becomes dirty or stained. Stains in vinyl roll-on decking are one of the hardest to remove, often requiring vinyl deck replacement.
To clean your deck:
- Start by sweeping away any debris, such as leaves or twigs.
- Use a pressure washer or a hose with a high-pressure nozzle to rinse dirt or grime.
- Be very careful with vinyl decking as the water can seep through improperly maintained seams and joins in the vinyl.
- Use a deck cleaner or a solution of warm water and mild soap for tougher stains.
- After cleaning, it is essential to seal or stain your deck to protect it from the elements. This will also help prevent mould and mildew growth.
Proper Deck Use & Safety
Proper use and safety are crucial when it comes to maintaining your deck. Flexstone recommends that you follow these guidelines:
- Refrain from overloading your deck with too much weight or furniture.
- Avoid dragging heavy objects across the deck surface, such as grills or patio furniture. This is especially true for vinyl decks that can more easily be ripped or gouged.
- Keep your deck clear of clutter and debris to prevent tripping hazards.
- Use caution when using fire pits, candles, or other open flames on your deck. Again, be aware that vinyl can pose a fire hazard due to its need for an adhesive.
- Always use caution when using power tools or other equipment on or near your deck.
Professional Deck Repairs
If you cannot repair your wood or vinyl deck yourself or notice any significant issues seek a qualified installer. It is crucial to call a professional deck repair service. A professional deck installer will be able to assess the damage and provide you with the best course of action for repair. With vinyl deck repair or even new installation, be aware that seams pose the most significant risk for water damage. Making sure a professional does the job properly reduces this risk.
Be aware that Flexstone has no seals or seams, so 100% waterproofing is more easily assured. Any future repairs bond seamlessly to our urethane-based waterproof deck covering.
Maintaining a residential deck, especially a roll-on vinyl deck, requires regular upkeep, but with the right tips and tricks, you can keep your deck in excellent condition for years to come.
At Flexstone Coatings, we are committed to helping you keep your deck in top shape. Our 100% waterproof decking membrane delivers peace of mind for those with vinyl decking problems. Follow these guidelines, and you will have a beautiful and functional deck that you can enjoy for years to come.